Science Subject Leader: Miss Hannah Bennett
Science has changed our lives and it is vital to the world’s future prosperity. Consequently, as teachers of Science, at Girnhill Infant School, we encourage our children to be curious, make observations and make connections about themselves and the world around them; looking more closely at the natural and human constructed world around them. Through our practical, hands –on approach to Science learning, we encourage children to ask thought provoking questions, make close observations and use their senses to find out about why things happen in certain ways.
At Girnhill Infant School, we want our children to become ‘scientists’ where they work and think scientifically to develop a secure foundation of skills, knowledge and understanding. We encourage all children to use a range of scientific vocabulary and definitions that a scientist would use to talk about their observations, findings and ideas. Practical, hands on experiences to our Science learning also allow children make meaningful connections to real life experiences whilst bringing Science to life thus, allowing them to research interpret and present like a scientist.
At Girnhill Infant School:
- We plan using the National Curriculum
- We enhance the curriculum using our Science Progression Grid
- Subject progression grids are used to develop long term planning
- Teachers use the long term planning to plan units of work and deliver individual science lessons
Our Science Progression Grid outlines the skills, knowledge and vocabulary that our pupils are expected to learn during their time at Girnhill Infant School. We approach all of our Science learning by following the Rosenshine Principles; supporting our pupils to know more and remember more. This ensures that learning is secured before the children move onto further areas of scientific study.
- Rosenshines 17 Principles of Effective Instruction
- Science Intent, Implementation and Impact new
- Science Progression Grid
- Teaching Strategies to Implement Rosenshines Principles in Science
- Year 1 Animals Including Humans Knowldge Harvest
- Year 1 Everday Materials Knowledge Organiser
- Year 1 Plants Knowledge Organiser
- Year 1 Seasonal Change Knowlegde Organiser
- Year 2 Animals Including Humans Knowldge Harvest
- Year 2 Plants Knowledge Organiser
- Year 2 Living Things and their Habitats Knoweldge Organiser
- Year 2 Uses of Everday Materials Knowledge Organiser
- Science Policy
- Science Organisations and Associations