Music Subject Leader - Miss K Milligan
Music Music is a universal language and one of the highest forms of creativity. At Girnhill Infant School we aim to provide children with the opportunities to learn and perform within a variety of different musical genres. We will teach subject specific music lessons enabling all children to learn the knowledge and skills required to be a ‘musician’. Our music education aims to engage and inspire pupils to develop a love of music through a progressive curriculum. All children are given the opportunity to compose and create as well as play and perform using a variety of instruments..
At Girnhill Infant School we aim for all our children to:
- Be introduced to subject specific vocabulary that a musician would use
- Use subject specific vocabulary to talk like a musician
- Use subject specific vocabulary and definitions that a musician would use
- Research, interpret and present like a musician
- Learn, work and talk like a musician Subject specific music vocabulary is taught and children are encouraged to use this when performing, exploring and composing and listening, reflecting and appraising
At Girnhill Infant School:
- We plan using the Early Years Foundation Stage and the National Curriculum
- We enhance the curriculum using progression grids
- Subject Progression grids are used to develop long term planning
- Teachers use the long term planning to plan units of work and deliver individual lessons
Our Music progression grid outlines the skills, knowledge and vocabulary that our pupils are expected to learn during their time at Girnhill Infant School.
We approach all of our Music learning by following the Rosenshines Principles; supporting our pupils to know more and remember more. This ensures that learning is secured before the children move on to further areas of Music knowledge.