History Subject Leader: Miss K Milligan
We believe that a high quality history education will help our children develop their knowledge and understanding of Britain’s past and that of the wider world. We aim to inspire children’s curiosity to find out more about people and events from the past and equip them with the skills they need to ask questions, think critically, weigh evidence, sift arguments and develop their historical perspective and judgment.
At Girnhill Infant School we aim for all our children to:
- Be introduced to the subject specific vocabulary that a historian would use
- Use subject specific vocabulary to talk like a historian
- Use subject specific vocabulary and definitions that a historian would use
- Research, interpret and present like a historian
- Learn, work and talk like a historian
As well as developing children’s historical knowledge there is also a strong emphasis on developing age appropriate understanding of chronology, historical interpretation and the skills of historical enquiry using a variety of sources. Subject specific historical vocabulary is taught and children are encouraged to use this when asking and answering historical questions.
At Girnhill Infant School:
- We plan using the EYFS Development Matters and the National Curriculum
- We enhance the curriculum using subject progression grids
- Subject progression grids are used to develop long term planning
- Teachers use the long term planning to plan units of work and deliver individual lessons
Our history curriculum progression grid outlines the skills, knowledge and vocabulary that pupils are expected to learn during their time in school. We approach all of our learning by following Rosenshine’s Principles in order to support our pupils to know more and remember more, ensuring that learning is secure before they move on to new information or skills.