Design and Technology Subject Leader - Mrs F Golec
Design Technology prepares children to deal with tomorrow’s rapidly changing world. It encourages children to become independent, creative problem-solvers and thinkers as individuals and as part of a team - making positive changes to their quality of life. It enables them to identify needs and opportunities and to respond to them by developing a range of ideas and by making products and systems.
Through the study of design and technology, children will develop clear ideas of who they are designing and making products for, considering their needs, wants, interests or preferences. They will understand the purpose of what they are designing and making and once made evaluate its purpose. They will design and make products that are both useful and have aesthetic qualities. Whilst designing and making, children will have opportunities to make informed decisions such as selecting materials, components and techniques and deciding what form the products will take, how they will work, what task they will perform and who they are for. Children will be encouraged to be original with their thinking throughout the designing and making process whilst ensuring that the products they make are believable, real and meaningful to themselves or other users. This allows them to reflect on and evaluate present and past design and technology, its uses and its impacts.
Design and Technology helps all children to become astute and informed future consumers and potential innovators.
At Girnhill Infant School we aim for all our children to:
- Be introduced to subject specific vocabulary that a designer would use
- Use subject specific vocabulary to talk like a designer
- Use subject specific vocabulary and definitions that a designer would use
- Research, interpret and present like a designer
- Learn, work and talk like a designer
Children are taught a range of design techniques and skills within Design, Make, Evaluate, Technical knowledge and Cooking and Nutrition.
At Girnhill Infant School:-
- We plan using the Early Years Foundation Stage and National Curriculum.
- We enhance the curriculum using progression grids.
- Subject Progression grids support and inform long term planning.
- Teachers use the long term planning to plan units of work and deliver individual lessons
Our Design and Technology curriculum progression grid outlines the skills, knowledge and vocabulary that pupils are expected to learn during their time in school. We approach all of our learning with Rosenshine's Principles to support our pupils to know more and remember more of their curriculum, and ensure that learning is secure before they move on to new information or skills.