“Where everyone is valued and futures matter!”
At Girnhill Infant School we work closely with parents and carers to achieve and maintain high standards of attendance. For a child to reach their full educational achievement coming to school every day is essential. We are committed to providing an education of the highest quality for all our children in an environment where all pupils feel welcome and valued. Every child has a right to access the education to which he/she is entitled.
It is our duty to consistently strive to achieve a goal of 100% attendance for all children. We use every opportunity to convey to pupils and their parents or carers the importance of regular and punctual attendance. For our children to take full advantage of the educational opportunities offered it is vital a child is at school, on time, every day the school is open unless the reason for the absence is unavoidable. High attainment, confidence with peers and staff and future aspirations depend on good attendance.
As set down by the Department for Education, schools are only able to authorise absence from school in exceptional circumstances. When requesting an authorised absence from school you will need to explain why the circumstances are exceptional. Please note there is no general right to authorise absence for a family holiday and if you take your child out of school without permission the absence will be unauthorised and a Penalty Notice may be considered.
Girnhill Infant School celebrates excellent attendance in lots of different ways
Every half tem pupils will receive a traffic light card showing where they are in relation to their attendance for that half term.
Green 100% attendance
Red below 97% attendance
- Every week we have an attendance assembly where the class with the best attendance adds a star on our ’Reach For The Stars’ display
- SAM (School Attendance Matters) dog is our school attendance mascot. He is taken home weekly by the class with the best attendance.
- There is a weekly prizes incentive for 100% attendance without any late marks.
- We have termly attendance assemblies for parents/carers and certificates for 100% attendance are presented to pupils
- SAM the dog regularly visits pupils and classes who have excellent attendance for picnics, hot chocolate, ice pops and much more…
*Please look at our attendance windows for the latest update on who has the best attendance this week.
“Will you be taking SAM home?"